ADORATION OF MAGI
Attributed to Giovanni da Balduccio by V.E. Markova. The group of figures in the picture can be traced to a composition by Federico Zuccaro held in the Girolamini Museum (Naples). It is considered as a preliminary sketch for a large composition painted in 1564 for the Grimani Chapel in the Church of S. Francesco della Vigna in Venice. In the drawings and engravings department of the Uffizi Gallery (Florence) there is a preliminary sketch by the master which, after being engraved, was made wide use of by various artists.
Provenance: acquired by the Pushkin Museum from G.M.Verpukhovskaya (Moscow) in 1960.