studio or circle of
This picture in the Pushkin Gallery is a repetition of a composition found in Southampton Art Gallery, acquired in 1958. Previously, it had been part of the Cook collection in Richmond. The fact that the work published here is a copy can be seen especially clearly from the simplified rendering of the landscape background.
Provenance: in the collection of the Dukes of Leuchtenburg (Munich - St. Petersburg-Petrograd) until 1918; in the State Museums Foundation 1918-1919; from1920 in the Rumyantsev Museum; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.