ADORATION OF THE SHEPHERDS
This picture is mentioned by Giorgio Vasari in the artist's biography; it is also cited by other authors in the 18th and 19th centuries. According to Vasari, it had been painted for the Church of the Holy Spirit in Ferrara in 1507 soon after the artist's return from Rome. Some scholars date the painting to the 1530s.
Provenance: acquired by Baron Camuccini from the chapter-house of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Ferrara; acquired for the Hermitage by Prince Volkonskii (St. Petersburg) in 1840; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.