THE VOCATION OF SAINT MATTHEW
According to the inscription on the reverse of the board this picture was attributed in the past to Bernardino Luini, an artist from Milan of an earlier period. The work is a completed sketch for Naldini's composition in the Salviati Chapel in the Church of S. Marco (Florence). In comparison with the sketch held in the Pushkin Museum the figure of Matthew and his clothing have been worked differently from those in the completed painting and his head is bare.
Provenance: in the Achenbach auction house (Berlin) in 1937; acquired by the Pushkin Museum as a donation from the Chief Highways Department of the Red Army1945.