THE ASCENSION OF MARIA (MADONNA DELLA CINTOLA)
An altar icon painted by Neri di Bicci for the Santa Maria in Ugi church in Florence in 1464-1465. It had been commissioned by Ser Amideo, senior priest of the church. The artist's diaries contain a detailed description of the conditions for the commission, according to which the altarpiece was to be executed in the "ancient manner".
Provenance: in the collection of the Princes Gagarin (Moscow) till 1917; later transferred to the State Museums Foundation; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.