PERUGINO, PIETRO (PIETRO VANNUCCI)
This work was considered as one by Peruggino himself. It can be traced back to the composition in a fresco Pieta Albizzi, painted in 1497 for the Albizzi family chapel in the Church of S. Pietro Maggiore in Florence (demolished in 1785). Transposed on to canvas in the 19th-century. This work is currently held in the Florence Savings Bank. Other repeated variants of this composition also exist.
Provenance: collection of Grand Duchess Maria Nikolayevna in the Quarto Villa near Florence; inherited by the Princes Kochubei, St. Petersburg; later held in the Hermitage; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.