SASSETTA (STEFANO DI GIOVANNI)
Both panels were originally parts of a composition for a large two-sided polyptych commissioned by Sassetta for the high altar in the Church of S. Francesco in Borgo Sansepolchro, completed on June 5, 1444. The Sansepolchro polyptych is one of the last main creations of the well-known Siena painter. Other parts of the composition are scattered through various museums and private collections.
Provenance: purchased in Italy between 1841 and 1852, presumably in Florence, by Karl August Beine, professor of architecture at the Imperial Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg; acquired c. 1860 by the Academy's Museum of Medieval Russian Art, from which it was acquired in 1896 by the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg and then by the Hermitage in 1910; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.