VIEW OF PIRNA WITH THE FORTRESS OF SONNENSTEIN
This canvas belongs to the same series as Inv Nos. 2685, 2683, 271.
A slightly altered variant of the canvas from the collection in the Dresden Picture Gallery; missing from the Moscow work are some figures and the depiction of a cart on the road to the right. No other variants or repetitions of this composition are known.
Provenance: acquired for the Hermitage from the collection of Count H. von Brühl (Dresden) in 1768; transferred in the late-19th century to the Tauride Palace and then to Gatchino Palace; returned to the Hermitage in 1920; in the Pushkin Museum since 1930.