VIEW OF THE OLD MARKET IN DRESDEN
This work with three other canvases from the Pushkin Museum (Inv Nos. 47, 2683, 271), ten from the Hermitage and one from the Alupkinskii palace-museum forms a series of 15 compositions depicting views of Dresden and Pirna executed by Bernardo Bellotto between 1747 and 1755 as commissions for Count Heinrich von Brühl, Minister for the Prince Elector of Saxony, elected King of Poland - August III. There are repeated variants of the so-called Royal Series painted by Bellotto for August III himself to be found in the Dresden Picture Gallery.
Provenienza: nel 1768 fu acquistato dalla collezione del conte H. von Brühl (Dresda) per l'Ermitage; dal 1930 si trova al Museo Puškin.