This work forms a pair with the picture School for Handicrafts, Inv. No. 1458.
In the Brokar collection these works were attributed to the French artist Chardin; in the Pushkin Museum the work was first thought to be that of an unknown German master of the 18th-century. N.V.Lazarev attributed it to Traversi. Many of the genre paintings by this artist were conceived and created as paired works, as illustrated by these Moscow canvases.
Provenance: held in the collection of G.A.Brokar (Moscow) at the end of the 19th century; the property of his heirs in 1900; in the State Museums Foundation from 1918; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.