Signature and date top left: G. De Chirico. 1921.
Dated 1921 – this picture in the Pushkin Museum is typical for the early metaphysical period of the artist's work (1910-early 1920s). It can be traced back to an earlier composition large in size and extended vertically in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, which was first exhibited in 1914 in the Salon des Indépendants in Paris.
Provenance: acquired by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation for the Contemporary Art Centre; donated by the Contemporary Art Centre to the Pushkin Museum on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Museum's foundation.