ANDREA BONAIUTI (or BONAIUTO), called ANDREA DA FIRENZE
and studio of
MADONNA AND CHILD WITH SAINTS AND ANGELS. THE ANNUNCIATION. THE ADORATION OF MAGI. THE CRUCIFIXION
It belongs to the type of the portable hinged triptych, which became widespread in Florence from the second quarter of the 14th century. The range of depictions is in keeping with the well-established iconographic tradition: in the centre is the Madonna with the Christ Child on a throne surrounded by saints and angels; above them, in a medallion, is a half-length depiction of Christ. In the side-panel; on the left is the Adoration of the Magi and in the panel to the right there is the Crucifixion with Onlookers and in the upper parts of the side panels there are the Archangel Gabriel and the Virgin Mary from the Annunciation.
The central panel has suffered from the flames of candles and in that place at the end of the 19th century a scene of the Adoration of the Christ Child was painted and then three medallions beneath it.
Provenance: transferred from the Yegorova collection in Moscow to the Rumyantsev Museum in 1919; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.